These forums are read-only. Please send questions and feedback by email.

Refresh Directory not working on network folder

Use this forum to ask any questions and to submit bug reports

Moderator: vuser

cjegan

Refresh Directory not working on network folder

Postby cjegan » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:39 pm

Charles

When I am looking at a directory view of a folder on a networked drive, the Refresh Directory does not update file dates or sizes. I have to view a file before the details will update.
I am running V15 SR2 on 32-bit Windows 7. The networked folder is on a server running Windows 2012.
I have not ticked the Disable Automatic Refresh on Network Drives

Chris
Attachments
RefreshDirectory_after.jpg
RefreshDirectory_after.jpg (113.52 KiB) Viewed 45163 times
RefreshDirectory_before.jpg
RefreshDirectory_before.jpg (103.91 KiB) Viewed 45163 times

cjegan

Re: Refresh Directory not working on network folder

Postby cjegan » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:38 pm

Charles

I have found this occurs because of a setting on the server, and it is not a problem in V. The same thing occurs in Explorer on the server.
The registry key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate determines whether the timestamp is updated whenever a file is changed.
If this flag is 1 (disabled) the time and size only change when the file is opened or the file properties are checked.
Changing the value to 0 (enabled) means the file time and size are updated regularly.
I need to check whether this is a significant overhead on the system - I may need to disable this.

Chris

FileViewer
Site Admin

Re: Refresh Directory not working on network folder

Postby FileViewer » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:41 pm

i have found this occurs because of a setting on the server, and it is not a problem in V.

Thanks for letting me know.

I couldn't reproduce the problem and was going to suggest it was either a Windows bug or a configuration issue.

Return to “General Support”