These forums are read-only. Please send questions and feedback by email.

How to refresh thumbnails

Use this forum to ask any questions and to submit bug reports

Moderator: vuser

bitmonger

How to refresh thumbnails

Postby bitmonger » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:06 pm

I have been editing JPEG images, but I open V and the thumbnails don't reflect the changes. I checked with the help file and it says that these are not cached, but it also mentions that in version 8 they won't be cached depending on user feedback. I am using version 13 so don't know if this is just a small part of the help file that wasn't updated. I restarted V but it still shows old thumbnails.
I deleted the the thumbcache_*.db files from the %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer directory, but it still kicks up old images.
How do I get it to either refresh or delete what it is using?

Thanks

FileViewer
Site Admin

Re: How to refresh thumbnails

Postby FileViewer » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:58 pm

I have been editing JPEG images, but I open V and the thumbnails don't reflect the changes.

Many JPG files contain embedded thumbnails which are used for previewing (sometimes called EXIF thumbnails).

My guess is that when you are editing the JPG files, the embedded thumbnail is not being updated.

If you enable High Quality Thumbnails in the Thumbnails section of Preferences, V will sample the entire image to generate the thumbnail instead of displaying the preview thumbnail (but this may slow down the thumbnail display).

Charles.

bitmonger

Re: How to refresh thumbnails

Postby bitmonger » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:47 pm

Thanks Charles,
That seems to do the trick.
I guess the editing software I was using was not updating the embedded thumbnails as you suggest.

Return to “General Support”