These forums are read-only. Please send questions and feedback by email.

V slowing down Eclipse

Use this forum to ask any questions and to submit bug reports

Moderator: vuser

ctammes

V slowing down Eclipse

Postby ctammes » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:11 pm

Hi,

I have a problem with V together with Eclipse. I use Eclipse (3.6) on files that are on a remote Windows system (no FTP, connected via 'net use'). When I modify my file in Eclipse and press 'Save', the file is saved immediately. This is the normal process.
But sometimes, when V is active, the process of saving takes more than half a minute to finish. When I, during the save, quit V, the save process finishes immediately. So it seems that V influences the connection to the remote PC.
With a file on a local PC, the process is fast, no matter if V is active or not.

The strange thing is that this does not always occur. But when it does, it is reproducable.
When I load another program instead of V, for instance Firefox, eating a lot of memory, the save is fast as usual.

I did a test with Procmon (process monitor) active and these are the results from the same action. The first column displays a timestamp.
This is without V:

Code: Select all

"08:42:04,2594435","eclipse.exe","5892","CreateFile","M:\Aposys\V5031\Batch\Conversie.bat","SUCCESS","Desired Access: Generic Write, Read Attributes, Disposition: OverwriteIf, Options: Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Non-Directory File, Attributes: N, ShareMode: Read, Write, AllocationSize: 0, OpenResult: Overwritten"
"08:42:04,2611633","eclipse.exe","5892","ReadFile","C:\WINDOWS\CSC\00000001","SUCCESS","Offset: 0, Length: 64"

And this is the same result with V active:

Code: Select all

"08:43:00,0081015","eclipse.exe","5892","CreateFile","M:\Aposys\V5031\Batch\Conversie.bat","SUCCESS","Desired Access: Generic Write, Read Attributes, Disposition: OverwriteIf, Options: Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Non-Directory File, Attributes: N, ShareMode: Read, Write, AllocationSize: 0, OpenResult: Overwritten"
"08:43:40,9555316","eclipse.exe","5892","ReadFile","C:\WINDOWS\CSC\00000001","SUCCESS","Offset: 0, Length: 64"

Any suggestions??

Chris Tammes.

FileViewer
Site Admin

Re: V slowing down Eclipse

Postby FileViewer » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:11 pm

But sometimes, when V is active, the process of saving takes more than half a minute to finish

Hi Chris,

I haven't heard of this problem before! Are you logging a folder on the remote drive with V when the problem occurs?

Next time you can reproduce it, try the following:

1. Exit V and restart it. Does the problem persist?
    2. Use Notepad to save the file on the remote drive. Is this slow too?
    3. Remove the Explorer pane from V (by pressing the small x in the top right corner). Exit V and restart it. Does this make a difference?
Regards,
Charles.

ctammes

Postby ctammes » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:54 am

Hi Charles,

I closed the Explorer pane for the instances of V that use the remote PC and that seems to work. Any idea why this might work??

Chris

FileViewer
Site Admin

Postby FileViewer » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:00 am

I closed the Explorer pane for the instances of V that use the remote PC and that seems to work. Any idea why this might work??

Yes - otherwise I wouldn't have got you to try it :D

I need to send you a diagnostic version of V to track down the problem. Give me a couple of days.

Thanks,
Charles.

Return to “General Support”