These forums are read-only. Please send questions and feedback by email.

VBackup - Command Line Backup with File Versioning

Command Line Backup with file versioning

Moderator: vuser

FileViewer
Site Admin

VBackup - Command Line Backup with File Versioning

Postby FileViewer » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:35 pm

The latest version of VBackup can be downloaded from http://www.fileviewer.com/vbackup/

VBackup is a command line program for Windows that is used to make backup copies of directories.

It is similar in functionality to XCOPY and ROBOCOPY, however, VBackup implements file versioning. This means that you can not only restore files from the latest backup, but you can also restore them from any previous backup.

I wrote VBackup for my personal use. It has several limitations, but it does everything that I need. I am releasing it as freeware (free for both private and commercial use) in case others also find it useful.

Depending on the feedback I receive, I will consider adding extra functionality.

VBackup should run on all versions of Windows, although I have only tried it on XP, Vista and Windows 7.

If you find any problems, please use this forum to submit a bug report.

I look forward to your feedback.

Charles.

Brewmaster

Re: VBackup - Command Line Backup with File Versioning

Postby Brewmaster » Thu May 10, 2012 10:40 am

Is there a way to limit the number of previous versions? I would like to keep 5 or 10 versions of files but have it overwrite or delete older versions as it moves along.

FileViewer
Site Admin

Re: VBackup - Command Line Backup with File Versioning

Postby FileViewer » Thu May 10, 2012 5:07 pm

Is there a way to limit the number of previous versions?

No. Given the way the backup works, it is not feasible to do this.

However, I may include an option in the next release which will let you delete all versions before a specified date.

Charles.

Return to “VBackup”