These forums are read-only. Please send questions and feedback by email.

Version 14 - Beta 1

Discussion of pre-release versions of V

Moderator: vuser

FileViewer
Site Admin

Version 14 - Beta 1

Postby FileViewer » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:30 pm

The first beta version of V14 is now available at:

http://www.fileviewer.com/Beta.html

V14 contains only one new feature - the ability to view CSV files (CSV = Comma Separated Value).

V14 will try to recognize a CSV file and will display it as a table. See the above URL for further details.

I look forward to your feedback on the new CSV functionality.

If you have any problems with a CSV file, it would help greatly if you could send it to me.

Lance Andrewes

Re: Version 14 - Beta 1

Postby Lance Andrewes » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:31 pm

Beautiful. Automatic mode is picking up pipe-delimited files nicely (despite the txt extension), and adjusting the column widths to the maximum size. This is something I do a lot. Simply viewing a csv file in Excel is slow. The major problem with Excel is that it's just too smart. Unless columns are set to text in the import wizard, Excel will do its darnedest to apply a data-type that invariably truncates decimals or corrupts dates. So this new feature is for me very worthwhile. If I run into any issues I'll certainly submit a report.

Thank you!

GeorgeB

Postby GeorgeB » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:30 pm

Just when I thought you couldn't add any feature that would be useful to me, you have to go and do this! <vbg>

Using my spreadsheet program, I just converted an .xls file to csv, .txt, straight save, no fancy footwork. Double-clicked the file, and it opened in V as a .csv, with tables and everything. Clicked on the Greenbar icon, and there were the greenbars. The .csv file is less than a third the size of the .xls.

This feature will be useful for viewing .csv files from financial institutions (banks, etc.), where further processing of the file isn't needed, saving the step to convert and re-format for spreadsheet viewing.

And now I can eliminate the standalone CSV viewing programs on my system.

Good job, Charles. And thanks.

--George

virshu

Postby virshu » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:11 pm

Files with .cs extension open in CSV mode by default... Since these are C# code files, probably not a good idea...

FileViewer
Site Admin

Postby FileViewer » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:19 pm

Files with .cs extension open in CSV mode by default

They shouldn't.

V will only open a file in CSV mode if it sees that it contains comma delimited fields - and this should not be the case with C# source!

If you have a .cs file that opens in CSV mode, can you please send it to v at fileviewer.com?

ctammes

Postby ctammes » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:51 am

And you did it again, Charles!! Excellent work. I am using the CSV option every day the last few weeks and it does everything I want. Also print and copy in a nice columnar format.
It is even better than Excel for viewing, because it always shows the leading zeros that Excel strips.

(How about porting it to Linux?? I don't think there is something like V.)

Regards,

Chris

Return to “Beta Versions”