These forums are read-only. Please send questions and feedback by email.

File Find - having to type asterisks

Post what you would like to see in future versions

Moderator: vuser

davidpierson

File Find - having to type asterisks

Postby davidpierson » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:58 pm

Hi,

Great program Charles. My two particular main usages will be finding files, and hex viewing. It was via a google for hex viewer that I found your program, by the way. I am also using the copy filelist to clipboard - this really has some nice options. The customisable field list is amazing.

Anyway, I found it counter-intuitive that I had to wrap asterisks around the filename text in the "Named:" field in the File Search.

Using the analogy from Visual Studio, there could be a choice of search type. For example:
- Any text (needs no wildcard, searches for the entered string within the filename)
- Wildcard (Windows/DOS)
- Regular Expression

In VS this is chosen from a combo dropdown box.

Hope this would not be much work to implement.

Thanks for an excellent work of software.

David

FileViewer
Site Admin

Re: File Find - having to type asterisks

Postby FileViewer » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:50 pm

Anyway, I found it counter-intuitive that I had to wrap asterisks around the filename text in the "Named:" field in the File Search.

Thanks for the suggestion - I will try to implement it in the next major release (V12).

Charles.

davidpierson

Re: File Find - having to type asterisks

Postby davidpierson » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:28 am

Hi,
You've implemented the partial filename match search in the new release - brilliant! Many thanks.

I actually think the way you've done it - with the two checkboxes - is better than the combo dropdown in VS. Less clicks required, and more choices.

Nice work!

Gee, I'll have to register V now :D

Thanks,
David

Return to “Suggestions”