These forums are read-only. Please send questions and feedback by email.

Version files & V settings backup

Use this forum to ask any questions and to submit bug reports

Moderator: vuser

GeorgeB

Version files & V settings backup

Postby GeorgeB » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:09 pm

Hi Charles,

First: In the V64 dir, there are several files starting with the name "v.exe.Version", starting with 14. I'm guessing they're related to updates and/or maybe rollbacks? Any reason not to delete these? Keeping one or two of the most recent? (Doing some house cleaning & backing up, just in case as this machine is starting to act a little flakey).

Second: Part of my backup process is saving program settings, primarily using CloneApp. There is no plugin for V, and the Vclone program indicates that Win 7 is the last Windows version it will work with. Is there an alternative for Win 8.1? I'm thinking of installing V Portable and see what settings I find. Any thoughts? EDIT: (Oops, just found a Topic post on keeping previous settings, but would like something something automated.)

Thanks,

--George

FileViewer
Site Admin

Re: Version files & V settings backup

Postby FileViewer » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:09 pm

Any reason not to delete these?

These are kept so you can roll back to a previous version. You can delete them if you don't want to do this.

Part of my backup process is saving program settings

There is no reason why VClone will not work under Windows 8.1 or Windows 10.

To backup the V settings you need to backup the V registry key (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Prineas\FileViewer).

If you use Bookmarks or Printer Profiles you will also need to backup the V AppData folder (C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\V)

You could probably tell CloneApp to do this for you.

GeorgeB

Re: Version files & V settings backup

Postby GeorgeB » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:46 am

Computer acting really flaky, so am slow to reply.

FileViewer wrote:
Any reason not to delete these?

These are kept so you can roll back to a previous version. You can delete them if you don't want to do this.

OK, thanks. Haven't needed to roll-back in 18 yrs., so I'll dump all but the last 1.

Part of my backup process is saving program settings

There is no reason why VClone will not work under Windows 8.1 or Windows 10.

Well, I had a mini-brain-cramp: the VClone page does have the following statement: "Note that VClone will only run on Windows XP/200x/Vista/7.". I should have known that you would try to trick me! <vbg> VClone ran fine.

To backup the V settings you need to backup the V registry key (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Prineas\FileViewer).
If you use Bookmarks or Printer Profiles you will also need to backup the V AppData folder (C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\V)
You could probably tell CloneApp to do this for you.

Thanks, I'd forgotten about the Printer Profiles. I'll work on CloneApp to do all this.

Your assistance is always appreciated, Charles, so thank you again.

--George

Return to “General Support”