These forums are read-only. Please send questions and feedback by email.

Refresh of Networked Folder File Directory

Use this forum to ask any questions and to submit bug reports

Moderator: vuser

BIADave

Refresh of Networked Folder File Directory

Postby BIADave » Tue May 19, 2015 2:35 pm

Hi,

I have a user with the most recent copy of VFile Viewer installed on her desktop. When she lists the contents of a folder on a networked drive it only is showing up to May 7th, 2015 as far as files available for viewing even though we know there are files as recent as today, May 19th, 2015. If I look at the contents of the networked folder using Explorer on her desktop I can see all the files. So....why is Vfile Viewer not showing all the files? I've tried deleting the networked drive on her desktop and re-configuring it but get the same results. A refresh of the folder from Vfile viewer doesn't resolve the issue. Screen shots attached.
Attachments
Explorer Screen Shot.jpg
Shows files up to May 19th
Explorer Screen Shot.jpg (88.83 KiB) Viewed 61925 times
VFile Screen Shot.jpg
Shows files up to May 7th
VFile Screen Shot.jpg (125.83 KiB) Viewed 61925 times

FileViewer
Site Admin

Re: Refresh of Networked Folder File Directory

Postby FileViewer » Wed May 20, 2015 6:10 pm

When she lists the contents of a folder on a networked drive it only is showing up to May 7th, 2015 as far as files available for viewing even though we know there are files as recent as today. If I look at the contents of the networked folder using Explorer on her desktop I can see all the files.

Can you try the following:

• Open a Command Prompt in the network folder (press Alt+C) and type DIR /OD in the Command Prompt. Does it list all the files?
  • If you use another app (like Notepad or Word) to open a file on the network drive, does it list all the files?
Can you also answer the following questions:

• Is the network drive on a Windows machine or is it perhaps on Linux?
  • Are you running 32 or 64 bit Windows?
  • Are you running 32 or 64 bit V?
  • What version of V are you running?

BIADave

Postby BIADave » Thu May 21, 2015 7:46 am

This is happening on a 32 bit Windows 7 desktop.

This morning the user came to me and said her networked drive was no longer mapped. I remapped it for her and now VFile Viewer is showing "all" the files in the folders. So....I would say p we put this problem on hold until/if it happens again. If it happens, I'll do the commands you requested and return the results. Thanks for your support.

Dave

BIADave

Postby BIADave » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:44 am

This problem has happened again. This is on a 32 bit Windows 7 desktop. If I look at the file list using Windows Explorer, I see all of the files listed. If I open a DOS Command Window for the Network Drive and do a DIR /OD, I see the same subset of files that VFile Viewer says are available for viewing. Other words, DOS DIR command also does not show all of the files. The version of VFile Viewer is V14 for 32 Bit machines.

Any idea why DOS/VFile Viewer is not showing all the files in the folder?

FileViewer
Site Admin

Postby FileViewer » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:51 pm

Other words, DOS DIR command also does not show all of the files
Any idea why DOS/VFile Viewer is not showing all the files in the folder?

No, I don't know what is going on - but it explains why V isn't seeing the files. Windows Explorer must be using a different method of viewing the network.

Is the network drive on a Windows machine running Windows 7 or Server? Or is it perhaps running Linux?

In V's Directory bar (just below the toolbar) enter the full path of a file that you know exists on the network drive but isn't displayed in the listing (eg, Z:\Reports\...\FILENAME.TXT) and then press enter. Does it open the file?

If the above doesn't work, use Windows Explorer to right-click on a file that V doesn't show and select Open in V. Does V open the file?

Note that in order for Open in V to be displayed in the Explorer menu, you need to enable Add Explorer Context Menus for ALL files in the Setup section of Preferences.

Return to “General Support”