These forums are read-only. Please send questions and feedback by email.

unable to view zips in v14 x64

Use this forum to ask any questions and to submit bug reports

Moderator: vuser

tmenke

unable to view zips in v14 x64

Postby tmenke » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:49 am

When I upgrade to v14 x64, I can view the contents of zip files, but I am no longer able to open them and I get an "Invalid or unsupported format" error

I see the blurb in the version history about a new dll used for zip functionality in the x64 version. Can you elaborate on this or explain how I can get the zips to be viewed? Most of our zips were created using various versions of Winzip

Thanks for making a great program that has served us well for many years.

FileViewer
Site Admin

Re: unable to view zips in v14 x64

Postby FileViewer » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:06 pm

When I upgrade to v14 x64, I can view the contents of zip files, but I am no longer able to open them and I get an "Invalid or unsupported format" error

Can you please send a ZIP file to v at fileviewer.com?

tmenke

Postby tmenke » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:32 pm

as I test it out more, I think it has something to do with the version of WinZip.

Old files that were probably zipped up with an older version of winzip years ago are unreadable, but I just tried out a freshly created zip and I can read it just fine.

I can't give you a copy of one of the zips as they contain confidential data, but let me do some more testing and see if I can dig up the old version of winzip and see if I can't recreate the problem. Assuming I can re-create it, I'll zip up some dummy files that aren't confidential and send you that.

FileViewer
Site Admin

Postby FileViewer » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:24 pm

Old files that were probably zipped up with an older version of winzip years ago are unreadable

Open these files with WinZip and then right-click on one of the zipped files and select Properties.

What compression method was used to compress the files? Is this different from the compression method used in the ZIP files that V can read?

tmenke

Postby tmenke » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:46 pm

it looks like files with "deflate" compression are readable, "enhanced deflate" is not readable.

I assume there is no way around this and I'll have to re-compress? Wouldn't bother me if I have to, I'd rather be consistent in how these files are compressed anyway.

FileViewer
Site Admin

Postby FileViewer » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:22 pm

I assume there is no way around this and I'll have to re-compress?

I need to contact the creators of the Zip library to see if there is a solution - it may be a couple of days before I have an answer for you.

In the meantime, you can either recompress the files or you could use the 32 bit version of V which should be able to view the files.

Return to “General Support”