These forums are read-only. Please send questions and feedback by email.

"Save As" a copy of the file

Use this forum to ask any questions and to submit bug reports

Moderator: vuser

johnlyn763

"Save As" a copy of the file

Postby johnlyn763 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:15 am

I know it sounds nuts, because since V is a a file viewer, there's no need to save a copy of the file you're looking at, because -- you can't change it, right?

But often times I'll be looking at a large log file on a network drive somewhere, and it would be convenient to save a copy locally, without using the clipboard.

(Oops, sorry - this was supposed to go to the Suggestions forum)

FileViewer
Site Admin

Re: "Save As" a copy of the file

Postby FileViewer » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:37 am

But often times I'll be looking at a large log file on a network drive somewhere, and it would be convenient to save a copy locally, without using the clipboard.

To do this, you could select the entire file (Ctrl+A) and then write the selection to a file (Ctr+S or "Select Block"->"Write to File" from the Edit menu). Note that this will not work if the file is being viewed in chunks - as only the current chunk will be saved.

If all you wanted to do was make an exact copy of the file, you could simply use the Copy command while viewing the directory listing. Even better, if you are using the Dual Pane mode, you can simply drag the file from the network drive to a local directory.

Return to “General Support”