These forums are read-only. Please send questions and feedback by email.

Ruler won't float in Windows 7

Use this forum to ask any questions and to submit bug reports

Moderator: vuser

Binary Geezer

Ruler won't float in Windows 7

Postby Binary Geezer » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:54 pm

One of my machines was recently "upgraded" from XP to W7 64 bit. 32 bit V was installed. Now the ruler can no longer be floated -- as if the program is unregistered. However, it is registered, as shown via Help. I upgraded to V13 this evening, no joy. I uninstalled, keeping my settings, and reinstalled. The floating ruler feature does not work. When I click on the ruler, I get the double-headed vertical arrow, but the ruler does not come with it. V13 is fine on an XP machine. (I have a four-user license.)

V is the greatest thing since Vern Buerg's LIST and the floating ruler has become a necessity over the years. Ideas?

FileViewer
Site Admin

Re: Ruler won't float in Windows 7

Postby FileViewer » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:39 pm

Now the ruler can no longer be floated

Unfortunately, I cannot reproduce the problem!

What happens when you move the mouse after clicking on the ruler? Does the ruler move at all? Does the vertical arrow immediately return to the standard mouse pointer?

as if the program is unregistered

If the program was unregistered, you would get a message saying so.

Does the About box display the correct Registered User Name? Does it display a Free Upgrades Until date?

Charles.

Binary Geezer

Postby Binary Geezer » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:06 pm

Hi Charles,

The cursor changes to the black up/down arrow I expect, but the ruler doesn't follow it. Registration info is complete. Here are some details which might be helpful.

V was already on the machine and working fine when it was upgraded to W7. Most installed apps survived the move OK. A couple had to be reinstalled to get the registry entries right again.

I upgraded from 10 to 13 with my free upgrade. No joy. Then I uninstalled, but kept the settings for reinstall. Reinstalling did not affect the problem.

Since typing the previous sentence, I did a complete uninstall/reregister. On my first monitor (laptop lid), ruler works correctly. On my second monitor, where I always run V, the ruler will not come down. Maybe you need to try it in W7 on your second monitor. Additional try just now: It's OK on the second monitor unless I use full screen. Bottom line: The problem is in full screen mode on the second monitor (desktop extended onto second monitor);

Ray

FileViewer
Site Admin

Postby FileViewer » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:05 pm

The problem is in full screen mode on the second monitor

I still can't reproduce the problem! Can you tell me exactly what you are doing?

Do you start V on the first monitor or on the second monitor?

Are you saying that if the file window is not maximized, you can float the ruler?

If so, what happens if you maximize the window after you float the ruler? Does the floating ruler disappear?

BTW: What is the resolution of both monitors?

Thanks,
Charles.

Binary Geezer

Postby Binary Geezer » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:17 am

Interesting! I have two different hardware configurations. At the moment, the laptiop is on a docking station, lid closed, driving two 1280X1024 monitors and I can't reproduce the problem, either. BTW, the XP machines are all single monitor, so no dual-monitor comparison is possible.

The problem configuration is the laptop lid (1600x900) as the first monitor and a 1924X1280 (wide screen) monitor as the second. That implies either:

The problem occurs when the two monitors are different resolutions, or
The problem occurs when one of the monitors is the laptop lid or
The problem occurs on widescreen monitors.

I don't own enough hardware to be able to break those cases down any further.

The laptop is an HP Elitebook 8440W.

I start V via the right-click context menu "Open with V" item. It pops into full-screen on the second monitor because that's the way I left it the last time. I do that at least a dozen times a day.

On the problem configuration, if I start V at a reduced size, it is OK until I make it full-screen. Then the ruler locks up. Reduce the size again and the ruler is free again.

If this is insufficiently confusing, let me know. I can do more :)

FileViewer
Site Admin

Postby FileViewer » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:12 pm

If this is insufficiently confusing, let me know.

I have tried every possible combination and still can't reproduce the problem!

What happens as you try to drag the ruler?

Does the cursor maintain its double-arrow shape or does it immediately change back to the standard pointer?

If it maintains its double arrow shape, does it move as you would expect as you drag downwards? Does it stay fixed on the ruler? Or does the cursor perhaps shift to the other monitor?

If the cursor moves as expected, drag it down to the center of the document (even if the ruler doesn't come with it) and then reduce the window. Is a second ruler now visible?

If you are still using the 32 bit version of V can you try installing the 64 bit version to see if it makes a difference? You will need to uninstall the 32 bit version first (you can keep your existing settings).

BTW: Where is your Windows taskbar located? On the bottom?

Thanks,
Charles.

Binary Geezer

Postby Binary Geezer » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:55 pm

If I try to drag the ruler down, the cursor maintains the correct double-headed arrow shape. If I then reduce the screen size, the floating ruler does not appear.

If I reduce the size, float the ruler, and go back to full screen, the floating ruler remains. I can slide that ruler around, but if I dismiss it with a double-cllick, it's locked again.

64 bit behaves identically with everything discussed about 32 bit in this thread.

FileViewer
Site Admin

Postby FileViewer » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:58 pm

I have tried every possible combination and still can't reproduce the problem!

Actually, I haven't tried every possible combination. I think I have found the problem!

I had assumed that you were extending your desktop horizontally - but you must be extending your desktop vertically (ie, one monitor is on top of the other).

Is that right?

If so, I should have a fix in a few days.

Charles.

Binary Geezer

Postby Binary Geezer » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:03 am

Not correct, but I think you got it anyway. I'm extending horizontally to the right, but the top of the extension is higher than the top of the primary display. In case it helps, the bottom is lower, too. It's like this:

Primary Secondary
------------------
----------------

------------------
--------------------

It's weird sometimes getting the cursor back to the primary. Fortunately, I cannot be driven crazy. After 43 years in computerdom, it's only a short putt now.

I really appreciate how helpful and responsive you've been for what is not close to a show-stopper.

FileViewer
Site Admin

Postby FileViewer » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:09 am

I think I have fixed the problem. Please update your version by downloading and running one of the following:

ftp://ftp.fileviewer.com/Preview/v1303-x64.exe (64 bit)

ftp://ftp.fileviewer.com/Preview/v1303u.exe (32 bit)

Let me know if you still have problems.

Charles.

Return to “General Support”