These forums are read-only. Please send questions and feedback by email.

V Not Responding and cannot be restarted

Use this forum to ask any questions and to submit bug reports

Moderator: vuser

dbrannick

V Not Responding and cannot be restarted

Postby dbrannick » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:35 am

Have a situation where V tries to display a large directory (15,000 files+). V hangs with a not responding message on the task manager. I try to end V by using the 'cancel (x)' and it does not work. I go to task manager and cancel the task in the running applications tasks. That seems to work but when I go to restart V, it will not. I go to the processes tab and still see v.exe running even though I've cancelled the program. IF I then cancel the process, it does go away but will not let me restart V.
Any ideas?

V12-64 bit running on I7/6gig memory/1 TB disk.

FileViewer
Site Admin

Re: V Not Responding and cannot be restarted

Postby FileViewer » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:48 pm

Have a situation where V tries to display a large directory (15,000 files+). V hangs with a not responding message on the task manager.

My guess is that V is not *hanging* - it is just taking a *very long time* to enumerate the directory. If you wait for a few minutes, it will probably come back to life.

That seems to work but when I go to restart V, it will not.

I think you will find that it has restarted (as V.exe is listed in the Task Manager). However, it is *hanging* because it is trying to re-display the contents of the most recently visited directory (which is taking a long time).

Is the directory on your local drive or is it on a network or removable drive?

Are you running Windows 7 or XP?

To bring V back to life, you will have to do one of the following:

1. Wait a bit longer (maybe a few minutes) and it should become responsive again.
    2. Use Windows Explorer to rename the folder with the large number of files and then restart V.
    3. Specify a directory name on the V command line (eg, V c:\directory). If you are in dual pane mode, you should specify 2 directories (eg, V c:\dir1 c:\dir2)

Note that this will just get V back up and running. It will probably *hang* again if you try to access the directory with the 15,000+ files.

Charles.

Return to “General Support”