These forums are read-only. Please send questions and feedback by email.

W7 and V14 crashing ..

Use this forum to ask any questions and to submit bug reports

Moderator: vuser

djbeam

W7 and V14 crashing ..

Postby djbeam » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:14 am

I am a long term user of V and been in IT for a long time.

It was drilled into me that you never produce a product that is not equal to or better than what it is replacing.

Unfortunately, Microsoft does not believe in the same principle and is focused on glitz not functionality or reliability (W8 is confirmation of that in spades).

I unfortunately I have been forced to move from a stable reliable OS .. .XP to W7.

Since that move, there is not a day goes by that when I use V, that it does not crash at least once .. and the max was every time that I went to capture the full file path to the clipboard.

I am running on a 64 bit, 16G, i7 with W7 Ultimate ... and unfortunately Norton 360.

I personally do not believe this to be a V problem .. but if others are having similar experiences and if anyone has a solution to this issue, I would welcome it.

Thanks for you help ..

FileViewer
Site Admin

Re: W7 and V14 crashing ..

Postby FileViewer » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:22 pm

I personally do not believe this to be a V problem

I wouldn't be so sure. Even if W7 was doing something unexpected, V shouldn't crash!

Firstly, make sure you are running the latest version of V (select Check for Updates from the Help menu).

and the max was every time that I went to capture the full file path to the clipboard

Is it still crashing every time you try to do this?

Please select View Clipboard from the File menu. Is anything displayed in the View Clipboard submenu or does V perhaps crash when you do this?

djbeam

Postby djbeam » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:59 pm

I am running the latest version of V (I checked).

The issue seems to be very aligned with accessing files on a remote networked drive .. almost 80% of the time when you go to do a capture to clipboard of the full path .. V will either lock or crash.

FileViewer
Site Admin

Postby FileViewer » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:31 am

The issue seems to be very aligned with accessing files on a remote networked drive

I have sent you an email with a link to a diagnostic version of V.

Please run it and send me the resulting log file (after you get it to hang/crash).

BTW: Is the network drive on a Windows system or perhaps on Linux?

Return to “General Support”